Posted December 22, 2011
The holidays are filled with many wonderful meals and celebrations with family and friends. Often our schedules are busy with late nights and unhealthy meals. It is easy to go overboard in enjoying these festive days and become stressed, overwhelmed and sick.
For a healthier holiday, consider the following tips to help you maintain good health during your celebrations:
- Exercise each day. In the hustle and bustle of holiday activities, you may forget to set aside time for yourself. Maintain your regular fitness schedule or start one today! You will be amazed at how much better you feel.
- Reduce your consumption of sweets and unhealthy fare. Balance the amount of delicious treats, alcoholic drinks and rich foods with more nutritious, healthy choices. Your body will thank you!
- Rest and relax. It is fun to participate in many holiday activities, parties and gatherings, but it is also easy to become exhausted and worn out. If you cut back on your schedule so you can get adequate sleep and rest, the holidays will be more enjoyable.
- Enjoy your memories, reach out to others. During the holiday season, people often remember family members and friends who are not with them due to death, relocation or serious illness. Many become depressed as they struggle to cope without these special individuals. Take time to enjoy your memories of previous fun times, but also look for opportunities to invest time in others who would appreciate your extra care and attention.
- Eliminate the guilt. Often we set high expectations for the holidays, from finding just the right gift to decorating with the latest trimmings. It can be exhausting to accomplish all of the items on your list. Instead of making yourself feel guilty because you can’t get everything done, streamline your efforts:
- Shop online and take advantage of speedy delivery options
- Purchase holiday pies and cakes from a bakery
- Set aside elaborate decorating plans for another year
- Focus on creating fun and comfortable holiday experiences with family and friends
Resolve to enjoy your holidays in good health!