According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), lean meats are the most complete source of protein. Other foods high in protein include eggs, cheese and legumes, such as soybeans, peas, beans and peanuts. View full article »
Tag Archive: vegetables
How many days each week do you:
- Spend at least 30 minutes participating in a fitness activity?
- Choose a healthy food item over a choice that contains higher calories?
- Eat 5 servings of fruits or vegetables?
- Reduce the portion size of your meat selection?
- Select a low-calorie or sugar-free beverage?
- Find a way to unwind and release stress?
Many Americans overindulge in high-calorie foods, avoid fitness activities, and take minimal time to step away from the stressors in their lives. Employees in poor health cost businesses more than healthy employees. Consider these statistics:
- The adult obesity rate has increased from 13 percent in 1962, to 26.6 percent in 2007.
- The child obesity rate has nearly tripled over the last 20 years, from 6.5 percent to 19.6 percent.
- Teen obesity has more than tripled since 1980, from 5 percent to 18.1 percent.
- With the increase in obese Americans, the threat of type 2 diabetes and heart disease also rises.
- High blood pressure problems are also on the rise, affecting 30 percent of individuals under 50, and 82 percent of those over age 75. View full article »